space
Photobucket space Photobucket space Photobucket space Photobucket

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Post office tutorial + {babe #2 update}

So it's Saturday, and that means a few things:
a) it is the end of the first week of what has turned out to be a fabulously successful Small Business Month,
b) during said week, I have come into contact with some pretty gosh darn amazing women,
and
c) your mind is no where near the post office and all that federal tomfoolery.

{A much more appropriate Saturday activity: attend a classy wedding}

But that's okay.
{This is a beginners, extremely basic tutorial, first of all, and}
Here's what I figure: one day soon you'll look back on this post and think,
Holy moly, tomorrow I need to make a trip to the post office with all 5 of these boxes, AND my kids, and I need to know how NOT to look like a frazzled heap of sweat pants and flip-flops, but rather like a chic, high heel wearing, I've-got-this-down type of super small business owner.

So here is what I have compiled.
And please do no hesitate to add more helpful information whether it be in comment form or by email, because girlfriend, as of a few hours ago I was one of those frazzled, sweat pant wearing, I'm-yelling-at-my-toddler type of post office venturer.
BUT BASICALLY, HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE, AND THE PURPOSE OF THIS BEGINNER'S TUTORIAL: KNOW WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR THE POST OFFICE. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME AND ENERGY.
{That's what I wish someone had told me}

Let's start with your different options:


 1. Parcel Post: You do this when there is absolutely no time constraints on your delivery. It takes 2-8 days, and starts at $5.99. 

2. First Class Mail: This involves only envelopes, so it is basically everyday mail costs {$0.44}, and I'm assuming does not apply to shipping your product.

3. Priority Mail, Flat Rate, Boxes and Envelopes: This option starts at $4.95 in MOST post offices, but here's the thing: it's limited in space. In my experience, it's better to size the box out yourself by going to Home Depot and spending fifty cents, rather than try to stuff whatever it is your shipping into that tiny area. It looks big, but in fact it is not. {I'm not trying to discourage, that's just based off of my experiences}. This is a 2-3 day service

4. Priority Mail: This one reaches it's destination in 2-3 days like the last one, but as you can see the box is shaped totally different. This one costs between $4.85-5.10, so it really just comes down to the nature of your product.

{Anyone still there?}


5. Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope: Okay, this is expensive....Anyone up for spending a minimum of $17.40? That's because it's an overnight service. Obviously the pricing would have to be discussed with your customer when it comes to special orders like these. 

6. Express Mail: Another overnighter, but starts at $12.96.

I REPEAT: HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE, AND THE PURPOSE OF THIS BEGINNER'S TUTORIAL: KNOW WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR THE POST OFFICE. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME AND ENERGY.
{That's what I wish someone had told me}
And if you really want to be a super sexy, post office savvy woman, order your goodies online. They are shipped free to your door. That gives you time to write out the To and From without a million nagging people breathing over your shoulder.

Okay, ENOUGH OF THIS.
My weekend brain can't handle it anymore.
There will be another post office tutorial to come involving shipping labels, because those bad boys are just downright annoying.
{Here's a hint though: Just write it out on your own. There's really no need for a label, because sometimes you'll accidentally grab the "overnight" shipping one, which won't match with your box and then you're right back where you started. Ridiculous.}


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Another great weekend activity: go to Disneyland!}

Next on the agenda,
Babe #2 Updates!

* I'm officially into my third trimester now!

* Said trimester makes me feel horrible. My eyes are heavy as heavy can be. Sheesh.

* I know this sounds weird, but I feel like I'm carrying a back pack of rocks on my front side. That's what I envisioned the other day as I got out of bed. I'm so demure and lovely.

* I feel like my labor might last a whopping 20 minutes because this baby seems to be positioned as low as he/she can be.

* Carter has been saying, "Hi, baby!" and giving my tummy kisses. Tear.

* I have my glucose test coming up next week.

* The doctor suggested one of those maternity belts. I never had one with Carter, but if it will stop me from walking like a platypus, maybe I should give it a shot.

* I took a nap yesterday, which was my first one in many months. It felt great and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

* I can't wait to reorganize everything to make way for the little one!

Yay!


4 comments:

  1. That was a very helpful guide to the post office!

    I had a maternity belt/girdle thing. It is not a miracle worker, but it did help. What helped me the most was not teaching 15 dance classes a week! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhhhhhh.^^
    my blog♥mfashionfreak

    Please follow me if you're not already. I'd love to get more followers! I'll follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the baby, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post office is awful for shipping. We have just one employee at our Post Office. The window is rarely open in the morning - he takes lunch from 12 to 1, then he MIGHT open the window IF he finished putting out the mail. Did I mention that nap time in this family is 1pm??!!

    I'm not sure what a maternity belt is, but good luck if you try it out. Just remember, growing a person is hard work, who cares if you're walking like a platypus! ;)

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...